Maya Lin's Peace Chapel

peacechapel2.jpg (19872 bytes)

The Peace Chapel looking west at sunset

The Peace Chapel is an environmental landscape site designed by architect Maya Lin. It occupies a 14-acre site within the 170-acre Baker-Henry Nature Preserve. Located near the Juniata College campus, the Peace Chapel provides a contemplative setting within the rolling hills of central Pennsylvania.

Designed and constructed in 1988-1989, the Peace Chapel consists of two sites. The larger site is defined by a 40-foot circle of rough granite stones that line a shallow well at the top of a hill. A series of smoothly polished granite steps lead from the footpath up to the circle of stones. The smaller site occupies the top of a slightly higher neighboring hill. This smaller site consists of a 4-food diameter smooth granite disk set within the forest that blankets the hill. From the disk one can peer through the trees to the distant hill and view the larger circle of stones.

peace.gif (84260 bytes)

Aerial view of the circle of stones that forms part of the Peace Chapel

The Peace Chapel was created through the generous support of Elizabeth Evans Baker and John Calhoun Baker (Juniata Class of 1917).

Other works by Maya Lin

The Peace Chapel is open daily from dawn to dusk. Please contact the Juniata College Museum of Art (814-641-3505).

Directions

From State College and North-Central Pennsylvania (45 miles from State College)

From Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania (117 miles from Pittsburgh)

From Easton, Harrisburg and Eastern Pennsylvania (93 miles from Harrisburg)

From Washington, D.C. and Maryland (151 miles from Washington, D.C.)